Whey protein is the most studied supplement after Creatine. It has been proven that protein helps build muscle, with the ideal ingestion time being immediately post-workout, or in your “anabolic window.” The only protein that is able to be digested within 45 minutes is whey due to its purity and chemical properties. Whey usually comes in a few forms: Hydrolysate, Isolate and Concentrate. Isolate is more filtered, and is more quickly absorbed by the body than Concentrate. However, it is important to keep a balance of both, since your muscles have a constant demand for protein.
• People copy the dietary practices of pro bodybuilders on androgens. Steroids enable you to assimilate far more protein than you’d normally could.
• People based their recommendations on the flawed nitrogen balance studies back from when the world was still flat.
• The more is better heuristic. There are so many studies showing protein is good for you, it’s hard not to think more of it is even better.
• Supplement companies have an obvious financial incentive to make you want to believe you need more protein than you really do. There are actually several industry-sponsored studies showing absolutely miraculous benefits of consuming more protein (see for example the studies by Cribb).
• People can’t be bothered with decimals and just round up to the nearest convenient integer, which so happens to be an easy to remember 1.